May 3, 2023
How to Become an Esthetician in Idaho
Becoming an esthetician in Idaho can be an exciting and rewarding career choice for those who are interested in beauty and skincare. Estheticians can provide a range of services, from facials and chemical exfoliation to waxing and makeup application.
If you’re interested in pursuing a career as an esthetician in Idaho, we created this guide to help you! While every state has its own requirements, here is what is necessary for Idaho.
Complete An Esthetics Program
The first step to becoming an esthetician is to get the proper education! Our esthetics program is 600 hours, which can be complete in as little as four months, and available at both our locations in Boise and Twin Falls. During your training, you can expect to learn:
- Skin analysis
- Makeup application
- Brow arching
- Lash and brow tinting
- Skincare theory
- Temporary hair removal
- Electronic facials
- Chemical exfoliation
- And more!
Our program is designed to help students discover themselves and prepare to be outstanding estheticians. Our hope is that our students can be successful in their careers after graduation.
Take And Pass The Exams
Now that you’ve graduated from your program, it’s time to take and pass your exams! There are two portions to the exam: the practical portion and the written portion. A score of 75% is required to pass and if a candidate fails, they will need to retake the failed exam in its entirety.
This is where you’ll put your knowledge to the test! The duration of the Practical Exam is approximately 3 hours. It consists of the following:
- Work area preparation and set up of supplies (10 minutes)
- Client preparation and basic facial (25 minutes)
- Work area preparation for a new client and set up of supplies (10 minutes)
- New client preparation and hair removal of the eyebrows using simulated soft wax and tweezing (5-minute set-up, untimed procedure)
- Facial makeup (20 minutes)
- Blood exposure procedure (10 minutes)
The allotted time for this exam is 90 minutes. You can expect to be tested on the following:
- Scientific concepts (55%)
- Skincare and services (45%)
Apply For Your License
Once you have passed the state board exam, the final step to becoming a licensed esthetician in Idaho is to apply for your license. You can apply online through this link. You will need to provide proof of completing an approved esthetician training program, passing the state board exam, and paying the required fees.
Get Started On Your Career
Congratulations, you’ve graduated and passed your exams! This is an exciting time in your life and you should be excited and proud. A career in esthetics can be a rewarding career path for those with a passion for the beauty industry. Potential career paths as an esthetician are:
- Medical esthetician
- Makeup artist
- Brand Representative
- Beauty salesperson
- Industry writer
- Spa esthetician
- Spa manager or owner
- And more!
Renew Your Esthetics License
To maintain your ability to work as an esthetician, it is necessary to renew your license every two years. You will be sent a notification approximately six weeks before your expiration date, but it is your responsibility to ensure that you renew on time.
Why Choose A Career In Esthetics
Choosing a career in esthetics can be a fulfilling and rewarding decision for several reasons:
- Helping others: As an esthetician, you have the opportunity to help people look and feel their best. You can provide personalized skincare services and recommend products and routines to improve the overall appearance and health of the skin.
- Flexibility: Esthetics offers a flexible work environment where you can choose to work full-time or part-time, and in a variety of settings including spas, salons, medical facilities, and even from home. This allows for a work-life balance that suits your lifestyle.
- Creative outlet: As an esthetician, you can express your creativity by designing custom treatments, makeup applications, and recommending products that address specific skin concerns.
- Entrepreneurial opportunities: With the right training and experience, estheticians can start their own businesses, such as a spa, salon, or product line. This provides the opportunity to be your own boss and build a brand around your passion for skincare.
Ready To Pursue Your Dream Career?
If you’re interested in becoming an esthetician in Idaho, contact us today to learn more about our program and how we can help you achieve your career goals. We look forward to helping you on your journey toward a fulfilling career in the skincare industry.