July 5, 2022
Whether you are approaching graduation day or just starting cosmetology school, it’s never too soon to prepare for an interview for your dream career. This is an exciting time in your life and in order to feel confident in landing the job you always wanted, we have some helpful tips to get you ahead and stand out from the crowd. Read more to learn how to impress potential employers and what you can do now!
Five Skills You Should Develop Now
As someone who is passionate about the beauty industry, there are so many cosmetology opportunities out there that you are not going to want to miss out on. If you have an interest in being involved in the beauty industry, we have a few recommended skills that future employers look for when considering the perfect cosmetologist for the job!
Cosmetology Skills and Education
The best way to gain experience and get the practice you need is by attending a cosmetology school. When a cosmetologist has a variety of services and knowledge to offer, this gets potential employers and customers more interested in you and what you have to offer. We highly recommend finding a beauty school near you and getting started now on your education. If you are currently living in Idaho, then check Aveda Institute in Boise and Twin Falls. The best way to decide on the right education for you is by looking into different cosmetology programs. Be sure to choose a beauty program that offers a curriculum in hair styling, coloring, manicures/pedicures, men’s grooming, cosmetics, and anything else you would like to specialize in. The more skills you have and certifications, the more likely you are to stand out in an interview. If you have any questions on how to get started, contact us today!
Customer Service Skills
Having strong customer service skills is important to a lot of clients and determines their loyalty. Salons typically want friendly professionals who attract clients and are able to consistently get them rescheduled. Developing a strong relationship among customers can take time and those relationships are strengthened by punctuality, communication skills, trust, and a positive attitude. Prepare now for that interview day by getting as much experience as you can! Work for makeup stores or as a beauty salon receptionist to help you with your people skills.
Social Media & Portfolio
Social media is everywhere and is pretty difficult to avoid. It is a great way to keep up with the trends and with what is currently popular in society. Doing your research and experimenting with trends can make you a stronger asset in the beauty industry. Impress your interviewer by not only staying current with the latest trends but by creating your own social media platform for highlighting your own beauty industry experience! A social media portfolio can help you to:
- Monitor your beauty school progress
- Get in contact with potential employers or clients
- Share your talent and knowledge
- Give information on appointment scheduling and prices
- Create a name for yourself in the beauty world
- Build a clientele even before you graduate
- And so much more!
Social media is a great way to get in contact with customers and answer their questions or book an appointment.
There is nothing more frustrating than going to your scheduled appointment and waiting on your stylist who is late. Beauty school is definitely a great way to learn how to manage your time through classes, assignments, and paying for school while enjoying your social life. If you become more consistent in organizing your time through a schedule, this is going to get you in the habit of managing your time and staying on top of daily tasks.
When problems arise, it is important to learn how to stay calm and be positive. If you show your potential hiring manager that you are willing and able to resolve issues in a creative way, they will become even more impressed with you. Create the mindset now that nothing is impossible! Besides, what makes you better than the hundreds of other applicants who have applied? During your interview, find a problem the company might have and share with them what you can do to solve it!
Your Interview Day
The best way to prepare now for your interview is by looking up cosmetology interview questions from employment websites, doing your research, or asking a licensed cosmetologist for their best advice. When you have a better idea of what to expect from an interview, this can help you stay more relaxed during your interview so you can focus on just being you! Here are a few ways to stand out during your interview:
- Bring your resume – When you bring your resume, this can go a long way in making you look and feel more prepared during your interview.
- Share what you know – Interviews are the best time to brag about all of your accomplishments and experiences. Don’t be shy! The more you share your beauty industry knowledge, the more confident the interviewer can feel about your abilities. This is a great time to share what makes you stand out from other applicants
- Get Excited – When you look forward to the interview, this can help you to relax and smile more during the entire process. That way interviewers will get a better idea of how passionate you are.
- Dress to impress – The first impression is always the most important and how you dress can show potential employers who you are right away. Dressing professionally shows that you take their company and time seriously.
There are so many ways to succeed in your interview, but the best way to stand out is by getting the education, experience, and skills now, so you can feel better prepared for the future.